Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Final Word on Race (For Now) . . .

A few days ago I naively responded to a post entitled 'One Race' on the blog Resist Racism

This was the post written by resistance on April 12, 2011:

    It was planned by teachers for their elementary school students.  They sang and
    displayed signs that read “One World” and “One Race.”
    More than 90 percent of the teachers were white.
    And no, it wasn’t supposed to be a Klan rally.

I didn't get it.  Naively I responded saying basically that we are all biologically one race (Read the original post and my stupid comments here).  While I am embarrassed by my own ignorance, I am also grateful for places like resistracism.wordpress.com where (even though I'm sure most of the regular contributors find my comments annoying and stupid) I can make those comments and be corrected or called out and at least walk away knowing more than I did going in.

But the real issue here is the fact that I didn't get the significance of the original post.  In typical naive white person style I questioned it thinking "how is this racist?"  I thought that I did see how it could be interpreted as racist but that the teachers were probably well-intentioned and so it wasn't really a big deal.  But it is a big deal!  My own initial response to this proves how this is a big deal; how there are so many white people out there who just don't get it!  And I am admittedly one of them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment