Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Few Follow-up Thoughts to White Fright . . .

Think of a situation where you have felt similarly (White Fright).

Why do you think people tend to surround themselves with people of their own race? Sure we could call it human nature but does that make it right? Of course it is understandable for us fearful humans to have a tendency to stick with people who are the most like us. We are afraid of differences because those differences represent what we do not understand and what we do not understand we fear. But why?! And why not try to change it!?

I want to hear from you!

Agree? Disagree? Understand? Appalled?

Tell me!

I specifically want to hear from the other side. I know there are people who have similar experiences as I did and this is not about an affirmation of my insecurities. I am more interested in what those African Americans were thinking when they saw me and my white family in their foodstore. Or even more interestingly how does it feel to be Black in an all-white school, or an all-white office? Or Mexican, or Haitian, or Pakistani? What are some of the things that I will never, can never, understand as a white female?

No comments:

Post a Comment